Wednesday 1 May 2013

Multi-Cultural Societies

Needless to say, Britain is most certainly a multi-cultural society; we accept migrants and immigrants unlike many others, and have no ban on how many of them enter our country. However, people are beginning to find issues with this, and want to put a restriction on the amount that can join our nation, but this is a bit irrelevant. 

Yesterday, we were discussing this in geography, and unfortunately enough for me, I was stuck sitting next to the most irritating girl you could ever hope to meet. By this, I mean, that she decided to voice her opinion, that she believes Britain is too multi-cultural. You heard me right. Too multi-cultural.

Now before my cursed rant begins, I'd just like to ponder on something for a moment: is there such a thing as too multi-cultural? Personally, I think not. Multi-cultural means being accepting of other cultures, and embracing and blending them into yours', surely? And so, it does seem a bit ridiculous to think there is a limit on how many cultures can be shared throughout one community. 
"Oh, no, sorry," the man exclaimed with an underlying annoyance in his tone, as he pushed the Polish family back to their hometown, "You see, we already have too many Asian people here, for you to join us. Sorry about that. Try again next time."
Strangely enough, I just couldn't see that happening. The same girl later mentioned a stereotype in which she actually believe in (that's right, she actually judges people based on the stereotypes surrounding their race, gender, religion etc..), which made me want to punch a wall. During our discussion on whether Mexicans should be allowed to migrate to the United States of America, she stated a reason to why they shouldn't be able to. And that would be fine, if it wasn't for the fact she said most Mexicans had a criminal past. Unfortunately enough, she literally did say this.

And so, I began to rant to this girl of how stereotypical it is to say such a thing, and how she should be ashamed of herself, and that a slight increase in criminal offences throughout the population of Mexico does not mean all of them are now suddenly murderers in the making. At one point, she called the teacher over to defend her, in which the teacher actually did; I knew there was a reason I disliked her. My teacher proceeded to state how although it was a stereotype, it was also true. No.

However, one positive that did come out of the lesson, is that Benedict Cumberbatch's face appeared on the SMART Board, and I have to admit I let out a little squeal. C'mon, what else could you expect from a typical teenage Sherlockian who was not prepared with tissues, a blanket and an episode of Sherlock (preferably my favourite, The Hounds of Baskerville)? That's right. Not much.

As an ending note, I'd like to point out that if you are ever going to participate in shot put, it truly does help to imagine Ukip on the receiving end of your put. Honest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment